Tuesday, May 29, 2012

An Emotional Indy 500 Champion

For the first time in I don't know how long, I watched an entire car race!  Something seemed different about this Indianapolis 500 this year.  I think it's because Boomer had just posted my Wall of Fame athletes and Dario Franchitti is on there.  It's also because I was back home in Bellefontaine, OH this past weekend and my family loves racing!

This race did not disappoint.  In the 96th running, it was a hot one.  The track temperatures got up over 130 degrees while fans were in and out of their seats to get in the shade as air temperatures were in the mid 90s.  Marco Andretti had led the most laps late in the race but was in an accident that continues the Andretti Curse at the Brickyard (grandfather Mario was the last to win in 1969).  Marco, who was 2nd in his very first try 6 years ago, just couldn't finish the great day he had overall.  But my main man, Dario Franchitti took home the prize winning in the final lap of the greatest spectacle in racing.

 

Indianapolis 500 champion IndyCar driver Dario Franchitti, of Scotland, poses in his car during the traditional winner photo session at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Monday, May 28, 2012.
Not that I need 2.5 million for winning this race but I'll take it!



The race belonged to 3 different drives who finished 1-2-3.  Dario Franchitti won his 3rd Indy 500 title (all 3 under caution.  I was happy for him as he was my favorite driver on the KOOL team back in the day.  I saw a little too much Ashley Judd (his wife) and we do know she can count to 3.  Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan finished 2-3 and that whole line up seems fitting.  Dan Wheldon, last year's winner, died in a race late last year in Las Vegas and could not defend his crown.  Those 3 were his best friends and 3 of his pallbearers.  Dario had nothing but amazing things to say about "Danny" and he was more than honored to have his face put next to his on the championship trophy.  In fact, Wheldon's wife took a victory lap with Dario and Ashley in a race that was rather unforgettable.

Here's the final 4 laps in a rather wild finish, including Takuma Sato just going for it, but failing on the final lap.